Monday, June 29, 2015

Mr. Sketch and Easel Pads

Today's tip is one you might not find on sale anywhere but to me, it's so worth the money! These two supplies are ESSENTIAL in my classroom and definitely where I splurge when buying my back to school supplies each year.  

Mr. Sketch markers
and
Large easel pad with 1 inch grids

To many of you this may be a duh! moment when you stop reading because you already use both.  To those of you who have yet to try, I encourage you to make this year the year to do it!


I love Mr. Sketch (chisel tip especially!) markers because I can use both the thin or thick sides depending on what I'm making.  I also love them because they never most of the time they do not bleed through.  (I say "most of the time" because occasionally when I'm double tracing or coloring a bit heavier a few spots will go on to the next page.  Rare but happens.)


My second essential to my classroom is my easel.  More specifically...my large easel pads with one inch grids.  Why one inch grids and not just lines?  Good question!

I find that when I'm crafting a sign, creating a list, or even making large interacting boards for my students, I like being able to count the squares to make the signs more symmetrical.  (This especially comes in handy when I actually teach symmetry and equal parts.)  ;)  

Very often I am the only one writing on my easel, mostly because my students are typically doing more interactive activities on the Smartboard.  Over the years, my easel has become less interactive and used more for anchor charts and visuals I want up throughout the day not just when teaching that particular content.



These are some visuals I post to welcome or as reminders to an activity we've done or learned about.


I use my easel pads to create large games for my students to use.  This Shamrock Boggle was a big hit this year.  I took it off the pad and hung it on the back of my magnetic bookshelf.  Then my students used it as a hanging game board.




Often I use my pads for lists.  This is an example of my workstations list.  However, more often than not, I will pre-write just the heading and border and create lists with my students.  List of words, brainstorming story topics, references, important content, things to do, and so on.  

Throughout the year, I often show my students how I count the spaces or grids, use color choices for emphasis, or even point out specific fonts.  I do this because when they are working in groups to create their own posters (using my easel paper), I can often refer back to those little tips to help them make their posters more appealing.  And yes, first graders most certainly can do this!!  One of the millions of reason I love firsties.  They absorb all those little tips that others might miss.  ;)

I love it when they catch on and start to point out my color patterns or choices and/or even notice the "fancy" way I make my letters to match the content.  It very much reflects "Everything Speaks."

Both items tend to be a bit pricier but are definitely worth the money.  I've already picked some up and ordered more for later in the year when this first set runs dry from use.  

Those are my favorite buys!  

What are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment